Building Social Connections
Prepared by Stephanie Kelly, MA
In compiling these resources, we have made an effort to identify readily available, low-cost, and quality resources. Although we cannot guarantee the quality of all of the following resources, especially ones that change frequently, this list can encourage you to consider various options of what could be helpful to you, and to start exploring sources of information, sources of support and ideas for coping.
There are a variety of ways to increase social involvement and decrease social isolation. Doing so may mean addressing a variety of interpersonal issues that can complicate relationships, such as anger, lack of assertiveness, or anxiety. The following resources are varied to reflect the diverse issues related to increasing social involvement.
a. You-tube video lectures
- Social Anxiety Institute website
- Finding social meetup groups in your area
- Succeeding Socially
- “Finding a Social Group That Is Right for You”
- “8 Tips for Building A Better Social Life”
d. Local support groups
e. Sliding-Scale Counseling in the Community
- Free Counseling Help.com: Enter zip to find providers near you.
- Many students enrolled at their colleges have access to counseling that may be free of charge. Inquire at your local college’s Counseling Services.
f. Fee-for-Service Therapists
- Hoover & Associates: visit www.licensed-psychologists.com for more information and clinicians available
- Psychology Today Therapist Directory
- Good Therapy.org
© Marlin C. Hoover, PhD, PC
Hoover & Associates‘ team of licensed psychologists, counselors and social workers is here to offer you help and guidance. We’ve been providing mental health services in the southwest suburbs of Chicago since 1985. We’re conveniently located at 16325 S. Harlem Ave., Suite 200, Tinley Park, IL 60477; near Orland Park, Orland Hills, Homer Glen, Mokena, Frankfort, Matteson, Country Club Hills, Flossmoor, Homewood, Hazel Crest, Markham, Oak Forest, Midlothian, Crestwood, Palos Heights, Palos Park, and Palos Hills. Call to make an appointment: 708-429-6999.