Physical Exercise Support
Prepared by Dr. Stephanie Kelly
In compiling these resources we have made an effort to identify readily available, low-cost, and quality resources. Although we cannot guarantee the quality of all of the following resources, especially ones that change frequently, this list can encourage you to consider various options of what could be helpful to you, and to start exploring sources of information, sources of support and ideas for coping.
- Fitness Motivation: Preventing Participant Drop Out by W. Jack Rejeski and Elizabeth Kenney
- Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Fitness Myths, Training Truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise by Alex Hutchinson (May 24, 2011)
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey and Eric Hagerman (Jan 10, 2008)
- Or search on www.amazon.com or www.barnesandnoble.com or visit your local library to check out a variety of books related to exercise and wellness.
b. Educational Video on Youtube
- “10 Exercise Motivation Tips”
- For Children: “Taking Care Of Your Health Through Proper Diet And Exercise / Educational Video” by Nasa Connect
- “Exercise TV”
- 10 Ways to Boost Your Exercise Motivation on WebMD
- 31 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Exercise on Zen Habits
- 4 Simple Steps to Start the Exercise Habit on Zen Habits
- Recharge Your Exercise Motivation on Fitness Magazine.com
- Top 25 Fitness Motivational Quotes from American Council on Exercise
d. DVDs These websites have complied the top DVDs for a variety of different exercises.
- Go Grab Your Shoes guided meditation CD for exercise motivation
- Motivation to Move! Hypnosis Exercise Motivation by Beverly Hills Hypnosis and Trevor H. Scott
f. Support groups
- Center Steppers and Square Striders Walking Club: find more information on Ingalls Health Systems’ list of classes.
- ONLINE WebMD fitness and exercise community
- ONLINE Daily Strength diet and weight maintenance support group
- Form a Support Group: If you can’t find an exercise support group that suits you, you can form your own. Ask your friends, family, fellow gym patrons, coworkers, neighbors and anyone else you can think of if they would like to join. The more people you have in your support unit during your journey toward lifestyle change and fitness, the better you’ll be able to meet your goals. (from www.livestrong.com)
g. Live lecture or talk providers
- EMPOWER! FUSION Weekend Fitness Celebration March 7, 2013-March 10, 2013 Chicago, Intercontinental Ohare
- HEALTH FREEDOM EXPO June 7-9 Chicago
h. Nature trails
- Lake Katherine Nature Center & Botanic Garden, 7402 W Lake Katherine Dr., Palos Heights, IL 60463, 708-361-1873
- Lake Sedgwick @ Centennial Park, 15600 West Ave, Orland Park, IL
- Old Plank Biking Trail, at Kansas & Nebraska Avenues, Frankfort, IL
i. Yoga Studios
- Vibe Yoga Studio, 17021 S. Harlem Avenue, Tinley Park 708-844-8504
- Sunshine Yoga Studio, 16555 Oak Park Avenue, Tinley Park 708-532-6030
- Yoga 360, 91 Bankview Drive, Frankfort 815-806-0360
- Revival Yoga Studio, 7209 W. College Drive, Palos Heights 708-827-5220
j. APPS for smartphones (free apps listed below; others available for fee)
- Motivate Me to Exercise (gray2rgb): sends reminders and motivational quotes
- Motivation to Exercise (by Mental Edge Academy)
- Workout Trainer (by SkimbleInc)
- FitnessClass for iPad
k. Gyms & Fitness Clubs/Recreation Centers
- Visit www.gymsandfitnessclubs.com to find club closest to your area. Charter, Blast and Plant Fitness now offer gym memberships as affordable as $10 per month
- Local park districts can also be available outlets for recreation and exercise; call you local park district for events and more information.
l. Sliding-Scale Counseling in the Community
- Visit Free Counseling Help.com to find providers near you.
- Many students enrolled at their colleges have access to counseling that may be free of charge. Inquire at your local College Counseling Services.
m. Fee-for-Service Therapists
- Hoover & Associates: visit for more information and clinicians available
- Psychology Today Therapist Directory
- Good Therapy.org
© Marlin C. Hoover, PhD, PC