What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?

May 16, 2009

Psychiatrists are doctors of medicine who specialize in disorders of the brain/mind. They can prescribe medication, and many of them do not do traditional talk therapy. A majority of psychiatrists see patients prescribe and monitor medication, though some may provide talk therapy.

Clinical Psychologists are doctors of psychology trained in talk therapy, including behavioral forms of therapy. They have a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy), a Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology), or an Ed.D. (Doctor of Education). Psychologists also do diagnostic testing and assessment, as well as psychotherapy treatment.

Mental Health Counselors and Social Works may also provide Psychotherapy treatment. Counselors, social workers, and psychologists are often referred to as therapists or clinicians.

If a therapist feels that a client might benefit from medication, that client can be referred to a psychiatrist or other prescribing professional such as a family doctor, pediatrician or internist. The psychologist will continue to do the regular treatment while the psychiatrist prescribes and monitors the medication.

Hoover & Associates’ team of licensed psychologists, counselors, and social workers is here to offer you help and guidance. We’ve been providing mental health services in the southwest suburbs of Chicago since 1985. We’re conveniently located at 16325 S. Harlem Ave., Suite 200 (2nd floor), Tinley Park, IL, 60477. Our offices are conveniently located near Orland Park, Orland Hills, Homer Glen, Mokena, Frankfort, Matteson, Country Club Hills, Flossmoor, Homewood, Hazel Crest, Markham, Oak Forest, Midlothian, Crestwood, Palos Heights, Palos Park, and Palos Hills. Call to make an appointment: 708-429-6999.