Dr. Marlin Hoover, PhD, MS, ABPP, ABMP
Licensed Clinical Psychologist — Illinois
Prescribing Psychologist — New Mexico
Diplomate in Clinical Psychology
Call 708-429-6999 ext. 227
Contact Dr. Hoover by e-mail.
Hoover and Associates Clinical Director
Dr. Hoover is the Clinical Director, founder and owner of our group. He has brought together a team of highly qualified, licensed mental health professionals who work well together. His leadership style is modest, supportive, and extraordinarily open to full participation from his staff in all aspects of Hoover & Associates.
Qualifications and Experience
Dr. Hoover is a licensed psychologist in Illinois and New Mexico. Dr. Hoover is board certified in Clinical Psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology, and in Medical Psychology by the American Board of Medical Psychology. He is a Fellow of the Academy of Clinical Psychology and a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Psychology. He earned a Ph.D. in Behavioral Sciences from the University of Chicago, and a Postdoctoral Master’s in Clinical Psychopharmacology from Fairleigh Dickinson University.
While starting a private practice in the Chicago area in 1985, he was a Faculty member at Saint Xavier University for twenty years, and Chair of the Department of Psychology of Saint Xavier University at Chicago. He has done research and publications on the relationship between personality and heart disease, training of psychologists, and validation of personality tests.
Dr. Hoover is a member of the American Psychological Association, the Illinois Psychological Association, the New Mexico Psychological Association, the State Psychological Association of New Mexico, and the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine.
Current Work in Addition to Hoover and Associates
Currently, he is an instructor of doctoral clinical psychologists, who are studying to obtain prescription privileges through the New Mexico State University/Southwestern Institute for the Advancement of Psychotherapy Cooperative, and through Fairleigh Dickinson University. He has prescription privileges in New Mexico. He is a member of the faculty of the Southern New Mexico Family Medicine Residency at Memorial Medical Center in Las Cruces. Additionally, he sees patients for psychotherapy and medication at the Center Through the Looking Glass.
- Management and Supervision of Hoover and Associates
- Consultation services for mental health clinicians
- Consultation services for primary care physicians
- Continuing education seminars for clinicians
- Ph.D. in Behavioral Sciences, Committee on Human Development from the University of Chicago
- Postdoctoral Master’s in Clinical Psychopharmacology from Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Certificate of Completion – Southwester Institute for the Advancement of Pharmacotherapy/New Mexico State University Cooperative
- M.Div. in College and University Teaching from Bethany Theological Seminary
- Diplomate in Clinical Psychology, American Board of Professional Psychology
- Diplomate in Medical Psychology, American Board of Medical Psychology
- Past chair of the Department of Psychology of Saint Xavier University at Chicago
- Faculty member at Saint Xavier University for twenty years
- Clinical training in inpatient and outpatient settings
- Private practice in Orland Park since 1985
Research and Publications
- Relationship between personality and heart disease
- Training issues for psychologists
- Validation of personality tests
- Fellow, Academy of Clinical Psychology, American Board of Professional Psychology
- Fellow, Academy of Medical Psychology, American Board of Medical Psychology
- American Psychological Association
- Illinois Psychological Association
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- New Mexico Psychological Association
- State Psychological Association of New Mexico